Wednesday, October 19, 2005

A Tuesday on the Reference Desk

Sometimes my weeknights working until 9 p.m. are full of fun stuff: homework, readers' advisory, do-able computer support, or helping folks begin household projects from aquariums to patios. This week, NP's been packed, but no one really needed us. And yes, I got out from behind the desk to push in chairs, pick up abandoned books, and randomly ask "did you find what you needed?"

The most interesting reference query came at the end of the evening, from a woman who spent her first few hours at the library pouring over our Bibles, a Bible concordance, and related reference books. At one point, I spent maybe 3 min helping her use the copier. Then, at half an hour til closing, she asked for a book on sumo. Well, we didn't have much: a children's encyclopedia of sports around the world had a picture and brief explanation; I also offered the books kids use for reports on other countries. As the patron packed up, I brought her a printout from a Japanese sumo match organization's information page. She thanked me, adding, "My sermon Sunday is going to begin with a sumo match." Well all right.

6 comments:

vj said...

Good googly moogly!
Now there's BLOG SPAM!!!

Now THAT is pure evil...

Lisa said...

Yeah, I know: I have been deleting them for the past 4 or 5 posts. I think the webcrawlers pick up on new posintgs -- that I'm safe after initial post. It looks like one of these is coded so I can't delete. Fatheads. Sorry, y'all.

I noted when posting to other blogs lately that there's often one of those type-letters-you-see-here protections: did you get that on mine, V? Maybe I have to set something, or, heavens!, pay to get that.

Anonymous said...

Pray, explain further. I fear I do not understand the concept of blog-spam.

C.

Lisa said...

As soon as I posted the last few entries, one or two Comments appeared. Oddly, the first ones in the first weeks of noting this were plausible: "Hi - Great blog you have. I'm Jane, check out my site at ...."

I delete them as soon as I see them, but V caught two before I could act. One, as I recall purported to be from the military.

I never click on them because I assume they are (A) smut or (2) will give me a virus, worm, or spyware -- I don't need none o' that.

vj said...

Nope, I haven't had to go through any coded entries or anything to post to your blog...
I bet blogger has got some kind of protection, though, cause that really sucks to have your comments hijacked!

Anonymous said...

What a bunch of rat bastids...

and no, I've never had to pass any screening to post a comment.

C.