Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Fresh Links

Words invented for Simpsons episodes, here. "Kwyjibo" is my favorite.

I like this trick, from Extreme Pumpkins, to ensure that kids about 15+ get a box of raisins instead of my carefully-chosen treats. Even if I just had separate bowls (since it's hard to send people round-about when you live in a rowhouse), I don't think I could gyp the teens since they are often with, or on the heels, of tots. Anyway, I work Halloween night this year. Query: Which annoys you more: a 17-year-old on the make for Snickers bars, or a mother with babe-in-arms and a sack to collect "for the baby"?

Okay, this is just an excuse to link to A Librarian's Guide to Etiquette. I am pretty sure it wasn't polite of me to keep repeating to the patron on the phone, "We're on X Road, between Y and Z." If the first two repetitions made her say, "Near the community college?", then for me to say it again the same way -- "No between Y and Z; beyond the community college" -- wasn't going to make it better. Note to self: Do Better.

3 comments:

vj said...

My brother had an evil scam in Stratford Hills for getting candy as a teenager...

He and his best friend would stage an argument over a bag of candy at our neighborhood crossroads, when a number of kids were walking along. Bro had a realistic looking cap gun, and would tell his buddy, "fork over the candy." Friend would say "no," brother would shoot the gun, and his buddy would fall to the street, letting the red juice from a fireball ooze out his lips... I watched two kids drop their bags of candy and run the one time I saw them do it. (I TOLD you it was evil...)

The next best thing he did as a Halloween teen was walking along Forest Hills avenue in a white shroud, with a face painted deathly white with black eyes. He carried a candle. People would slow down and gawk, trying to figure out what the heck they were seeing...

BTW, I LOVE "inspecting" my kids' candy for suspect items on Halloween night. I'm pretty darned good at palming my favorites out. ;)

Anonymous said...

Maybe its a theatre thing, but I'm just not that into Halloween. I enjoy costumes, and makeup and all that when I'm on stage, but Halloween always seemed like an excuse for really negative behavior. I esp. hated it during college. Bad stuff always happened on that night.

I'm trying to figure out a way to avoid giving candy out. I've seen too many teens in black t-shirts and a mask who expect treats. Jason seem to really enjoy it, but I don't understand why we need to feed these random kids candy habits.

Eek. The curmudgeon appears.

Lisa said...

Eh, so put J in charge of treat procurement and distribution and you can hide in an upstairs room or something.