We camped out at James River State Park for a few days this week - tubing, sunshine, bird watching. Bandannas are vital camping gear: I packed three -- and found a fourth in the little bag I use to carry my bird book -- for a two-night trip.
Cool nature moments:
- From inside the tent, I could see the silhouette of a sizable bug, so I crawled out to take a look. It turned out to be a fresh cicada, just out of its brown former shell! Neat.
- Met a snake while hiking; probably a black rat snake.
- Best bird - yellow-breasted chat, high in a dead tree in a wetland, singing in the morning sun.
- Clouds overhead while tubing.
- The fence lizard that comically scampered across the High Bridge trail.