Friday, June 17, 2005

Random Fan Thoughts

Why aren't Richmonders good gardeners? On a walk from here to the Video Fan on Sunday (35 min. round trip, at a stroll) I saw perhaps 2 really nice front gardens -- everything else looks unbalanced, plopped in for the season, neglected, or overgrown.

Estate sale today: damn. It was of those great city houses I forget still exist since so many I enter are newly over-decorated house-tour gems, or the houses of friends-of-friends who have something akin to the same quirky tastes as me. Empire and Victorian furniture, oil paintings, Maxfield Parrish prints, Cape Cod glass, oriental rugs, wallpaper spanning 60s-80s, cheap faux wood paneling in a bedroom, Barbie & Ken of my era, also a "Timey Tell" for $25 (! I don't think mine was in such good condition). I bought an aqua hand mixer. The back garden seemed narrower than mine, stuffed with azalea and boxwood. From the alley, it's clear than many of those expensive houses (was I on Stuart or Hanover?) have crappy back yards. I wondered if one house was abandoned or a rental, the yard was so overgrown. Many serve as parking spots instead of gardens.

Capital City weather: goregous blue sky, 80ish

No comments: