Thursday, April 21, 2005

This librarian blogger has a few words to say about the apparent disconnect between what library schools and other Experts say about the growing need for librarians, and what new grads experience -- i.e., we have trouble finding work. I count myself because even though I achieved the benchmark he proposed of being "professionally employed within one- and two-year periods following graduation," I certainly felt the frustration and esteem-busting pain of being the last in my crowd to get a job.

It feels good to read that I was not alone on the slow track to employment. I don't feel like I have a broad enough prospective, however, to judge whether 6 months and 30-some applications was too long and too many; whether the profession truly has a problem that needs to be addressed.

No comments: