Thursday, November 03, 2005

Walking Through the Woods
With Mistletoe, Poo, and You

... is what I promised Ph. I would call this entry about our Sunday ramble at Dutch Gap. There's a wonderful conservation area with hiking trails adjacent to the reconstruction of the 1611 English town of Henricus.

I am struggling to make this a narrative: it's all impressionistic and snapshot-y. Thus the title, I suppose.

Our morning was chilly, lit by clear, low sunlight.
Red leaves across the pond lit up bright;
Yellow leaves behind us, all aglow.
The fine contrast of loblolly pine needles against bright blue sky.

Quiet -- except . . . is that gunfire? It's so frequent (but distant) that it must be a firing range. Also, boating is permitted, so add some macho motors whizzing by.

We found the bald cyprus -- cyprus knees! -- as promised by both the website and the map provided by the visitors' center. We found that path an excellent scramble, frequented by more critters than we could identify by droppings only. The feathers I found suggest some poo must have been turkey, and, indeed, when I saw something largish moving on the other side of the water, I thought we might spot one. Instead, I found myself suddenly whispering, Oh! Look, a deer.

I did not whisper about the other find, a spay or two of mistletoe in a hardwood tree. ; )

The birding was good:
kinglet
chickadee
black & white warbler
cardinal
mocking bird
great blue heron
kingfisher
flicker

Next time, I need a tree book, because many trees I could not name without help. Maybe a wildflower book, too. Also, we agreed we'll pack a lunch next time, so we can stay longer.

Capital City weather: cold nights, but clear days reaching 70
Upcoming event: Friends of Richmond Public Library Book Sale

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you're secretly cataloging sources of poisonous plants?

C.

vj said...

You also need a scatalogical identification book... ;)

(someday, I'm gonna go to Australia and look for wombat scat, since it's square...)

vickie j

Lisa said...

C, there's too much poison ivy out there to start a poisonous plants list.

V, I have got to find a way to work that amazing fact into conversation today!!

Lisa said...

Lest any of you think VJ was making it about the square poo.

Daniel said...

Perhaps this is why I never got into nature that much: any hobby that has me cataloguing poo is somewhat suspect.

Minor dyslexia strikes: I spent a couple of minutes wondering why the park needed a "conversation area."

Also, somewhat distressed that Chesterfield doesn't point out that Henricus was where there was supposed to be established, in 1622, a college--until a pesky massacre got in the way. It took another 71 years to get the thing founded--in Williamsburg.

Anonymous said...

I dunno Daniel, when I first got wind of Henricus and the history, the college was definately bragged about, or at least it was mentioned. There is even a plaque on some rock up there. What is really undertoned, I feel however, is that it's not the correct site, which was more or less destroyed (I believe) when the Gap was blown up. Hitory signs all around talk about first hospitals, etc etc...but they are sneakily written with phrases like "Near here" or some such fiddle faddle. Still a beautiful place...

Phil