Thursday, August 18, 2005

On the Way Home from the Y
1) It's darkish at 8:30. Goodbye, summer.
2) Is there an art gallery in a store that used to sell bathroom fixtures? When did that happen?
3) Another trendy bar is moving into the old Seigel's (sp?) grocery, across from the Fan Thrift. Could it really be called the "Martini Kitchen and Bubble Bar"? Maybe my memory is bad.

Reading
I led a pretty lively book discussion at work Monday: Simon Winchester's Krakatoa: The Day the World Exploded.

I am most of the way through the odd, the diverting The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse, by Robert Rankin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forget if I read this on BoingBoing or Lileks...
Anyway, they've decided the red sunsets of "The Scream" paintings were a result of Krakatoa effluvium in the air at the time. Pretty cool.

Lisa said...

Yes, yes -- many, many vivid sunsets were caused by the erruption and inspired or influenced many artists.