Friday, August 19, 2005

Links

70s stickers: I totally had some of the same ones!

Book vending machine, here.

While a Deluxe Nancy Pearl Action Figure is very cool, one of our minority colleagues propses other ideas. By the way, I rarely actually raise a finger to my lips in that "shush" gesture -- but one of those few times was just the other evening when a boy of 10 or so got so into the online song and/or video before him (and in his computer's headphones) that he started singing along. Whether he looked at me while singing just for a reaction, I don't know, but when he did, I just made The Gesture. A reflex, not doubt. Instantly, he stopped singing. In contrast, when I walk over to folks and say "I don't think you realize that we can here you at the other end of the building; please keep it down," I raise noise, muttering, and laughter. Maybe The Shush is not all bad.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had all of the scratch and sniff ones
and the kitty ones... awww

and yeah, you always seemed the type that could totally pull off the shush

Anonymous said...

Ah,
the irreverent wit of "Wacky Pack" stickers! My brother and I would clamor for many a package at the Ben Franklin drugstore on Forest Hills Avenue. Sure, the Wacky Pack gum was inedible, but our dark blue canvassy ringbinders were covered with coolness! Good online find. :)

Daniel said...

Just saw some Wacky Pack stickers up in Pa. I remember the scratch-n-sniff ones too. Must have driven the teachers nuts when we were all busy sniffing each others' notebooks.

Stickers aren't such a big deal today, but based on the logo items my kids *do* have, there would be powerful few kitty and puppy stickers. The 13-year-old of 2005 doesn't want anything cute unless it's the kind of cute that results in sex.

Anonymous said...

I got in some trouble in Middle School for selling stickers like that. I had visited a sticker warehouse and the owners said I could have a bunch to take home. So I took a couple of boxes full and sold them in school for .25-1.00 a piece. Was making the big arcade bucks till the detention teacher thought I was selling acid on the back of them and took me to the head office. Alas, there was no contraband on the back of those cheesy stickers, but I wasn't allowed to sell them anymore. That's when I switch to selling bubble gum...

P.

Anonymous said...

Not all of these stickers are 70s, some are definitely from the 80s. The Mrs. Grossman ones were a large part of my collection back in '84-'85. They were great for birthday cards, because you could put together different scenes or costumes depending on what you bought. I still smile when I see them at Michael's.

Also, I once had the bear in the clown suit sticker on a blue mug.

Just keepin' it real.