Saturday, February 26, 2005

I Thought We Liked Gorman
Skip slashdot and go straight to the horse's mouth: Library Journal - Revenge of the Blog People! On the one hand, Gorman probably should read more blogs; on the other, he's not really wrong. B and I just spoke on the phone about the quality of writing on blogs: much of it is unimpressive. As those who write to me to draw my attention to my misspellings know, I consider Capital City Desk casual writing, a first or second draft at best. And Google certainly does offer more hits than most people can evaluate.

Those studying for comps will remember that Gorman believes in that a "'traditional' library is not one that rejects change and innovation -- it is a library that welcomes all means of serving its community better." (Our Enduring Values: Librarianship inthe 21st Century (2000), p. 32) He urges intergration of technology with our values of democracy, privacy, literacy and learning, etc. with, "We can hold fast to our values and proclaim our value." (p. 172) I'm pretty sure I used that in comps. Yeah, I still like Gorman.

I Also Like Zeisel
Do take a loook at the pics from the ATC interview with Eva Zeisel.

No comments: