Monday, March 29, 2004

Fire
You know, I haven't even gone east to see about the fire damage. Last night's news coverage featured hope for having three or four lanes of Broad Street open again by rush hour; the news that you had to go to Southside first thing this morning to get your vehicle if it was one of the melted ones the city had towed away; and an expert saying that the heat could have done damage not just to the road surface but to pipes, wires, etc. buried under it.

I went out to Mechanicsville around one on Friday, noticed traffic backing up at the 64 / 95 split, and saw what looked like wispy smoke coming from maybe the convention center. The receptionist at the GS office kindly let me know about it, so that I wouldn't get stuck in traffic on the way back home. An odd thing: I could definitely smell smoke in the air, later, at S&J's. Why didn't I notice it closer to the fire's peak, at one-ish?

Longevity
Vickie says:
"Regarding your post on the archiving of journals, diaries and the fate of web media, have you ever checked out Stewart Brand and his cronies?
longnow.com

I saw him speak a few years ago on his "Long Now" foundation. They are trying to create a long term storage "Rosetta Disk" to retain our cultural information for future generations;
rosetta

He also was building a millennium clock where the minute ticked once a year, and the cuckoo chirped once a millennium.
Wacky, but good insights as to preserving for the future. :)"

Good stuff; worth a closer read than I have the time for, at the moment.

Garden
Eight or so daffodils bloomed in all. I think my grape hyacinths are spreading -- there are more than I recall, and in places that don't seem right. One neighbor has awesome regular hyacinths that make -- almost -- the whole back alley smell fabulous. Weeds and other things began appearing in my yard over the weekend. The redbuds, here and there in the city, seem early this year.

Oh, rats, writing about the yard makes me think of Red Barber and Bob Edwards, and that reminds me how depressed I am that Edwards got shoved off of "Morning Edition."


Capital City weather: Cold (okay, maybe 49 degrees) and overcast and damp.

No comments: