Saturday, August 23, 2008

Hipster?

A library school classmate posted an enticing article from Adbusters, "Hipster: The Dead End of Western Civilization." At first, I felt horrified and embarrassed that I'd given myself the label "Hipster Dufus Librarian," which to me means something like "21st Century Librarian" or "not the dullest kid in my library school graduating class" or "hey, I started blogging before I went to library school." But the article describes hipsters this way
Lovers of apathy and irony, hipsters are connected through a global network of blogs and shops that push forth a global vision of fashion-informed aesthetics. Loosely associated with some form of creative output, they attend art parties, take lo-fi pictures with analog cameras, ride their bikes to night clubs and sweat it up at nouveau disco-coke parties. The hipster tends to religiously blog about their daily exploits, usually while leafing through generation-defining magazines like Vice, Another Magazine and Wallpaper. This cursory and stylized lifestyle has made the hipster almost universally loathed.
According to the author, they wear glasses they don't need, clothes from American Apparel, and favor fixed-gear bicycles. Additionally, it's "[l]ess a subculture, the hipster is a consumer group." Yikes! That's not me.

Then I read this quotation from a former magazine editor:
I’ve always found that word [“hipster”] is used with such disdain, like it’s always used by chubby bloggers who aren’t getting laid anymore and are bored, and they’re just so mad at these young kids for going out and getting wasted and having fun and being fashionable,” he says.
Disdainful chubby blogger? Well, that might be me. Maybe I mean "hipster" with some kind of double irony, by claiming to be something I find distasteful? By adding "dufus" do I admit that I will never be one of those cool partying people? But, wait -- I don't want to party! I hate crowds and loud music and cigarette smoke.

Bother.

Well, until I can think of a catchier handle, I think I am going to let it stand.

No comments: