Friday, October 19, 2007

Back at Work

While I hit the ground running on Monday ("none of us did a schedule this week, after all: why don't you go ahead and do it"), it's been a good week for slipping back into a routine. The first patron I helped needed to use our online system to reserve a meeting room; he was all kinds of extra-grateful to me for helping him navigate it. Sometime I forget we have so many very nice folks at our place.

Monday night I lead book club. Everyone liked The Hungry Tide and the discussion sorta led itself. Tuesday night -- often a busy one for meeting rooms and homework and tutors -- was very peaceful, which was lucky since the other librarian on duty ran a program all night. It's no fun to fly solo when we're busy, as, sadly, she was reminded the very next night. Wednesday I had a committee meeting, and you could tell how relaxed the honeymoon made me because I actually said "I'm ambivalent about this [proposed addition to the online catalog]." I always have an opinion! Yesterday I did several projects at once, but most were fun like shifting books (okay, that's actually pretty physical, but like cleaning, very satisfying) and changing the way our graphic novels appear in the catalog.

Today, I am waiting for someone from the City to inspect the recently-installed water heater. Normal Friday-off chores like cleaning and bill-paying have been joined by thank-you note writing, so it's easy to stick around to wait for the inspector. I don't mind any of those chores, but the 90-something percent humidity, 70-degree temps, and and gray skies make me sluggish. We'll see how much really gets done. . . .

No comments: