Friday, July 09, 2004

Comps (What Else?)
Though just a week or so ago I firmly told CNB I would only write practice outlines, not practice essays, I did sit down today and write for an hour, on Ranganathan's Five Laws (1952) in the 21st Century. You remember Ranganathan:

  • Books are for use
  • Every book its reader
  • Every reader his book
  • Save the time of the reader
  • The library is a growing organism.


Child Care
This morning, I tried to keep baby W occupied while J put up some new blinds. W sat on my lap while I read the sales pamphlet from a car dealer over and over, with W saying "ehh" and pointing at the pictures. Alas, it didn't hold him for long. Next came crayon throwing, ball throwing, and toy fire truck pushing. That kept him busy long enough for J to find he needed to have the blinds cut just a little shorter. Ah well.

Wednesday's Storm
Imagine my surprise when I took the trash out late Thursday afternoon and found that my locust tree had been struck by lightening the day before. After wasting time calling all the wrong people, then sitting on hold with Dominion Power, I spoke to a helpful woman there who said that if it's fallen on the power lines, they'd take care of it. As luck would have it, a truck must have been nearby, and a team of men extracted the limb from the street light pole, lines, and neighbor's crepe myrtle within the hour. My insurance company still might pay to remove the remaining tree which is good news.

No comments: