Thursday, June 17, 2004

Photo Realism

For five weeks now, I have been making a database of Virginia studio photographers, 1860-1920, for the Virginia Historical Society. As well as the photographer's name and address, I make notes about the "imprint," the pre-printed design on cardboard to which the photos are mounted. (For those into these details, we're talking cartes de visite and cabinet cards.)

Working on this reminds me of an American Studies professor I had at William & Mary whose refrain was, "there's a paper in this." Choose one:

  • Social history: In Richmond, the Main St. studios were a nicer; probably, you made an appointment to sit for your portrait. The Broad St. studios, in contrast, tended to be more middle-brow, and permitted "walk-ins." If the family came into town twice a year, a spontaneous stop for a photo was possible the Davis Gallery, say.

  • History of the business of photography: changing address or city; poses; claiming to be an "artistic photographer"; backdrops; changing imprints often v. maintaining the brand image for several years.

  • Fashion: c. 1895 woman had to have an enormous comb sticking off the back of their heads; men's ties (bow or cravat or long; straight or crooked); a brief fad for key-shaped pins; etc.

  • View of aging: if you wrote an age on a child's photo, 90% (or more) of the time, you wrote it in years and months -- and probably days. The oldest youngster to get this was "Age 16 years 1 m 21 days."


Yesterday, the most amazing thing happened. Let me back up. I began with a collection of over 700 card photos assembled by a former staff member. Once I entered those, I started slotting in data on images scattered about the museum collection. Yesterday, I went to add a photo from a popular studio, with a particular imprint. I had already entered one like it, so I inserted a new line under that entry and began describing the one in hand. I noted as I typed that I was about to give it a similar title - boy by chair. "Hunh, I wonder if it's the same chair." Needing a stretch, I went to the shelf for the big collection. It wasn't just the same chair -- it was the same child! One is addressed to Grand Ma and Grand Pa, the other to Auntie. Made from the same negative -- capturing the same moment -- apart for all those years (since Chirstmas 1885), and together again in my hand in 2004. Digitization doesn't give you that tiny thrill.

Capital City weather: 90s, 100% humidity

4 comments:

vj said...

I'd be interested to know if Dementi Studios was in existence in that time period, Lisa...I worked for Robert Dementi, Jr. for a weeklong student internship.

The studio has been around a long while, I just wondered if any of the photos you are cataloging are from Dementi Studios?

(And that is kindof SPOOKY about the boy's photo!)

vj said...

Scratch that question,Lisa, the Va. Historical Society has such a great search facility!

Robert's father, grandfather and probably great-grandfather have a good number of photos in the database.

Very cool to know about; thanks for letting us know about the project in your blog. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa ~ [It's me Maggi, skirting the whole sign-in deal] This is what I love about archive work. When I did my Hidden Treasures talk on postcards at the Val years ago, I took forever to choose because I had to read them and look at the postmarks in addition to the image sides!

Lisa said...

V - Glad you found what you wanted. I can never keep the Dementi pack straight (Dementi Studio, Dementi-Foster, and I think Colonial). That said, no, I didn't enter any early Dementis.

M - Oh, the back of postcards can be the best bit!