Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Lileks on "Kennedy-era children's multimedia" here.

In library school, classmates have been known to tell moving tales of libraries they knew as kids, full of books and friendly librarians. I have no particular memory of the people, sad to say. Not even the women in the high school library, where I worked in place of study hall (half of senior year? all?). They gave me a lovely address book as a graduation gift, though.

I don't know why I imagine everyone but me is talking about beautiful, hushed Carnegie library-type spaces, but I do have this notion that only I went from a trailer public library to a mod, open-plan school library.

I remember Robious Elementary School's Media Center. We had a conversation pit off to one side, for story time; also great for jumping around. Books were kept in the middle and to the right. On the far back wall, also a hallway, hung a Seurat poster. And to the back left were, several carrels with, well, Kennedy-era children's multimedia. Some of the machines played regular filmstrips in the small space, as I recall; others played chunky film loop cartridges. I don't really remember the topics: space and nature come to mind, but there might have been terrible versions of fairy tales, too. Certainly, that's what we saw as big films and filmstrips ("Hi, I'm Troy McClure...").

Old business: the city changed the traffic pattern around the Lee Monument: it's to be treated like an actual traffic circle: vehicles in the circle have the right of way. Yet, all of the other monuments are still just blips on the east-west route? Great, a new rule at each intersection.

No comments: