Sunday, April 18, 2004

Sunday Reading

The Post notes this blog, signed Rance. It's an is-he-or-isn't-he-for-real game. An apparent "Hollywood insider" (like I know what that means), he answers "or" questions ("Are you or are you not Jim Carey?") with "yes."

I started to say, "he writes as well as anyone with a blog does," then I recalled the handful of times I have clicked on Bloggers "just published" list. Doing that showed me that lots of people are mean and don't care for grammar. (Oh great, now I feel extra self-conscious about my writing.)

The book review section let us know about a new Peanuts collection and asserted that Charles Schulz coined "security blanket." Go know.

I've also done some reading for Special Collections. I would always rather read than write (write the papers due in the next 3 weeks, that is), but it turns out that the last reading assignment for SC becomes part of our take-home final -- good thing, too, because I think I will have lots to say about it. It's this article by Daniel Traister on saving vs. using.

I-95
In the last two weeks or so, along with the heavy traffic that came with K-12 spring breaks, I noted men picking up the trash strewn up and down the highway (thanks, guys). The plastic bags and tarps deep in remain visible, there, as the leaves are still small. From about Fredericksburg to Quantico there's a fantastic run of redbud trees. After class and lunch Saturday, the drive home was pretty easy: it's the north-bound folks who were looking at 100 miles of averaging 45 mph. Some options for reducing that kind of mess: start earlier; pay taxes and get wider highways; take the train.


Capital City weather: sunny, mid-80s

No comments: