Tuesday, September 20, 2005

One of my early history geeking-out moments was in the periodicals stacks of the library at Mount Holyoke: the neatly-bound complete run of The New Yorker took my breath away. So much good writing! So much history to glean from the ads! So much to consider in terms of what was included and what was not!

Now, it seems, I can have the intellectual experience and content in digital form. But what of the tactile experience? I wonder if old magazines are as wonderful without the smell of old paper? (Thanks to PF - who also takes my breath away - for the link.)

In other news, Mitch's wedding is this weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a CD of about a quarter of the Civil War run of "Harper's Weekly" if you want to borrow it some time. You can experiment with the 'sans-odor' periodical experience.

For my own part, it's less the smell than the tactile element.

C.

Lisa said...

I had a library school classmate working on the Harper's project (as an abstracter & indexer, I believe), so I've taken a look at the online version. Sure, I miss the tactile experience, too.

Anonymous said...

i bet it will be the most terrific and spectacular wedding ever. color me happy for them!

Doots